August has been a very quiet month. With a lot of holidays, and not that much work going on, I’ve had plenty of time to read. Plenty of flights to read on, as well. The majority of this month’s reading material has been YALC picks, although there’s also been a number of books selected for the purposes of fulfilling challenge criteria, and for the most part I’ve thoroughly enjoyed them. As the links in the following list will show, however, I’ve been much faster at reading than I have been at revieweing. I’ll have to get on that again soon!
- The Last Namsara – Kristen Ciccarelli
- Remix – Non Pratt
- A Love Like This – Maria Duffy
- Nemesis – Brendan Reichs
- Before I Let Go – Marieke Nijkamp
- I See You – Clare Mackintosh
- The Treatment – CL Taylor
- Fireblood – Elly Blake
- A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares – Krystal Sutherland
- After the Fire – Will Hill
- Things A Bright Girl Can Do – Sally Nicholls
- The Exact Opposite of Okay – Laura Steven
- The Heart Collector – Melinda Salisbury
- My Side of the Diamond – Sally Gardner
- The Truth and Lies of Ella Black – Emily Barr
- Moxie – Jennifer Mathieu
- The Sin Eater’s Daughter – Melinda Salisbury
- The Velveteen Rabbit – Margery Williams
- The Hedge Knight – George RR Martin, Ben Avery, Mike S Miller
- The Hedge Knight II: Sworn Sword – George RR Martin, Ben Avery, Mike S Miller
- The Raven Boys – Maggie Stiefvater
- Everless – Sara Holland
- Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index – Julie Israel
- Visser – KA Applegate
- The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel – George RR Martin, Ben Avery, Mike S Miller
None this month!
Ella Black doesn’t have cover art yet, so I can’t put it in here.
Favourite Book This Month
This is actually really, really tough. There were a lot of really great books this month that I very much enjoyed. In a complete cop-out, I’m actually picking two favourite books this month. Juniper Lemon’s Happiness Index, which I have yet to review, is about Juniper dealing with the loss of her sister, and A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares. Both were great!
But I also loved Fireblood, Moxie, The Exact Opposite of Okay, The Raven Boys… This was just a really good month.
Least Favourite Book This Month
Also a tough one. I really didn’t enjoy Before I Let Go, but at least it had some good elements in it. A Love Like This, which I haven’t reviewed, was dross, and I won’t read anything else by that author if I can help it.
Favourite cover art
So many good covers this month! Honourable mentions to Fireblood and Everless for gorgeousness, but the winner is The Exact Opposite of Okay. So many small elements of the cover art tie in beautifully with the book itself, it’s clear that the cover artist put a lot of love into this, and it really stands out.
I am the WORST at sticking to a book buying ban. I bought loads of books this month, including three graphic novels. But on the plus side, I didn’t *actually* buy any physical books, only ebooks. That counts for something, right??